Creating a Business Intelligence Infrastructure
Successful BI consulting focuses first on the data and then on the analysis, in three key phases:
Proper data governance is the first step towards BI and includes:
- Defining the data structure based on business requirements
- Defining data governance policies
- Specifying the data collection process and methods
- Processing and preparing the data for analysis
- Warehousing the data
- Validating the data through quality assurance testing
Solid data management leads to the next phase, visual analytics, which includes report automation, visualizing key performance indicators, alert monitoring (red flags), and answering general business questions through custom dashboards.
Documenting the strategy for visual analytics will improve both your decision making and internal communication throughout the company.
Some of the best questions surface after stakeholders have been able to visualize and digest their data over time. A strong understanding of performance measures and directional trends pave the way for more advanced analytics, in areas such as: